Forget about the bread, hot chocolate is what you want in this cold, snowy weather. There is nothing better than curling up with a mug of hot chocolate and relaxing, that is until you accidentally spill it on your carpet. However, there’s no need to panic or start re-arranging furniture…
Below is our easy step-by-step guide to removing a hot chocolate spill on carpet.
How to clean up after a hot chocolate spill on carpet
- Use a clean towel to blot up as much of the liquid as possible, work inwards to avoid spreading the stain.
- Pour a small amount of cold water onto the area to help dilute the stain and blot again
- Mix a tablespoon of washing-up liquid with two cups of warm water. Dampen a towel in the solution and blot the area.
- Repeat, until the stain is gone.
- Use a towel dampened with warm water and clean to remove any soapy residue.
How to clean up after a hot chocolate spill on cream or white carpet
- Follow the above steps, then,
- Mix a teaspoon of clear ammonia with a cup of warm water to make a cleaning solution.
- Apply this to the hot chocolate stain and then let it set for five minutes. Always take care when using ammonia, test out on an inconspicuous area of carpet first and never mix with other chemicals.
- Use a clean white cloth to blot the affected area. Continue to blot the stain, until it is completely removed.
How to clean up a tea spill on carpet
- Mix two ounces of white vinegar and 4 ounces of warm water.
- Use a clean cloth to blot the stain with the solution, work towards the middle so as not to spread the stain.
- Rub gently, being careful not to scrub as this can damage the carpet fibres.
- Continue, until the stain disappears.
- If the smell of vinegar is lingering, then sprinkle some baking soda on the area and leave overnight. Vacuum up the next morning and the smell should be gone.
- Now that the stain is gone, it’s time to make some more tea. Go on, go on, go on…
I was apprehensive to get my expensive Persian rug cleaned as you never know with these things but calling Renew I knew I'd made the right decision. They collected it, cleaned it impeccably and returned it right to my door.James Galvin
We have a very strong relationship with Mark and the team at Renew Carpet Cleaning. They do a lot of carpet, upholstery and tile cleaning work for us and have done so for a long time. They’re very flexible and the work is impeccable.Brown Thomas
Jason and the team were just so lovely. They really helped me out at the last minute and the carpets came up so well, I asked them to do my sofa too! Couldn’t recommend Renew enough. Will be calling them back next year.Catherine O'Driscoll
Our carpets, curtains and upholstery have never looked as good since we hired Renew. Like clock-work they’re there to keep our premises shining to the high standards we’ve set. There's no better cleaning company out there.The Shelbourne Hotel
I'm only sorry I didn't call Renew years ago! They are by far and away the best tile & grout cleaners I've ever used and Darren was such a lovely man, couldn't have been more helpful when he arrived. Would defingintely use them again!Sinead Counihan
Dublin's Best Carpet, Fabric, Tile & Grout Cleaning Professionals.
Renew is Dublin’s leading and most experienced professional carpet, fabric, tile & grout cleaning company. We have over 20 years’ experience, providing wool-safe approved, anti-allergen & eco-friendly cleaning solutions to over 10,000 homes a year.
- Environmentally friendly techniques
- Fully trained and professional staff
- 100% no quibble refund
- Free assessment and quotation