Re-decorating your home can be stressful enough without having to deal with a paint spill. It’s normal to switch to panic mode at the sight of your beautiful flooring covered in what can seem a permanent material.
However, paint spillages are common and can be successfully removed, if acted upon immediately and with the right method.
How to clean up after an emulsion paint spill
Emulsion paint is easy enough to clean up. As emulsion paint dissolves in water, using water alone can usually do the job. Try using a damp cloth to carefully clean the area, working inwards to contain the spillage.
Use warm soapy water and a cloth to clean the area. If you’ve been too busy admiring your handy work and haven’t noticed the spillage until it’s hardened, use the sharp edge of a knife to carefully flick the paint off. Be careful not to get too carried away and scrape the floor! Use warm soapy water to clean up any residue left afterwards.
How to clean up an oil based paint spill
- Always follow the instructions on the chemical remover that you’re using.
- Never scrub at the stain as this will damage the fibres and work the paint further into the carpet.
- When most of the paint has been removed – use two cups of cool water, mixed with a tablespoon of washing-up liquid to sponge the remaining stain.
- If the paint has dried, try scraping it off carefully with a paint scraper or knife .
- Use a hairdryer for approximately 15 seconds, holding it 3 inches above the paint.
- Use the same method that’s used on carpets afterwards.
- Only ever use a chemical remover if you have a good knowledge of the product and are confident using it. If not, always call a professional for help.
I was apprehensive to get my expensive Persian rug cleaned as you never know with these things but calling Renew I knew I'd made the right decision. They collected it, cleaned it impeccably and returned it right to my door.James Galvin
We have a very strong relationship with Mark and the team at Renew Carpet Cleaning. They do a lot of carpet, upholstery and tile cleaning work for us and have done so for a long time. They’re very flexible and the work is impeccable.Brown Thomas
Jason and the team were just so lovely. They really helped me out at the last minute and the carpets came up so well, I asked them to do my sofa too! Couldn’t recommend Renew enough. Will be calling them back next year.Catherine O'Driscoll
Our carpets, curtains and upholstery have never looked as good since we hired Renew. Like clock-work they’re there to keep our premises shining to the high standards we’ve set. There's no better cleaning company out there.The Shelbourne Hotel
I'm only sorry I didn't call Renew years ago! They are by far and away the best tile & grout cleaners I've ever used and Darren was such a lovely man, couldn't have been more helpful when he arrived. Would defingintely use them again!Sinead Counihan
Dublin's Best Carpet, Fabric, Tile & Grout Cleaning Professionals.
Renew is Dublin’s leading and most experienced professional carpet, fabric, tile & grout cleaning company. We have over 20 years’ experience, providing wool-safe approved, anti-allergen & eco-friendly cleaning solutions to over 10,000 homes a year.
- Environmentally friendly techniques
- Fully trained and professional staff
- 100% no quibble refund
- Free assessment and quotation