Who hasn’t tried the super scientific experiment, of dropping a coin into a glass of cola and watching the rust magically disappear? Over the years, Cola has become just as popular for its cleaning powers as its refreshing taste.
Unfortunately, these cleaning powers don’t apply to carpets. As cola is obviously a dark coloured liquid, it looks even harsher when spilt on cream and white carpet. Even patterned and dark carpets can be left with a murky stain that can seem tough to get rid of. However, help is at hand! Below is Renew’s step-by-step guide to cleaning up a cola spill on a carpet.
For best results, get to work on the stain straight away and always test cleaning solutions on an inconspicuous area of carpet first.
How to Clean up a Cola spill on Carpet
- Using a towel (or paper towel) soak up as much of the liquid as possible.
- Mix together – two cups of warm water, a squirt of washing-up liquid and one tablespoon of white vinegar to make a cleaning solution.
- Add the cleaning solution to a spray bottle (if you have one) or pour a small amount, enough to cover the stain, and leave for two minutes.
- Using a clean cloth or sponge, work the solution into the stain (don’t rub as this may damage the carpet). Continue cleaning, working inwards, until the stain is gone.
- Using a clean cloth and water, remove any soapy residue and vinegar from the carpet.
- Leave to air dry.
How to clean up a cola spill on a cream/white carpet
- Mix together some cold water and oxygen bleach (follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully)
- Using a cloth or bristle brushwork the cleaning solution into the stain. You may need to leave this to work for up to one hour.
- Rinse away any residue with warm water.
- Allow to air dry.
Renew Carpet Cleaning are experts at removing tough stains.
Renew Carpet Cleaning recommend having your carpets professionally cleaned at least annually. After cleaning they can apply a protective treatment that will protect against future staining – including soda spills!
If in doubt contact Renew for advice.
I was apprehensive to get my expensive Persian rug cleaned as you never know with these things but calling Renew I knew I'd made the right decision. They collected it, cleaned it impeccably and returned it right to my door.James Galvin
We have a very strong relationship with Mark and the team at Renew Carpet Cleaning. They do a lot of carpet, upholstery and tile cleaning work for us and have done so for a long time. They’re very flexible and the work is impeccable.Brown Thomas
Jason and the team were just so lovely. They really helped me out at the last minute and the carpets came up so well, I asked them to do my sofa too! Couldn’t recommend Renew enough. Will be calling them back next year.Catherine O'Driscoll
Our carpets, curtains and upholstery have never looked as good since we hired Renew. Like clock-work they’re there to keep our premises shining to the high standards we’ve set. There's no better cleaning company out there.The Shelbourne Hotel
I'm only sorry I didn't call Renew years ago! They are by far and away the best tile & grout cleaners I've ever used and Darren was such a lovely man, couldn't have been more helpful when he arrived. Would defingintely use them again!Sinead Counihan
Dublin's Best Carpet, Fabric, Tile & Grout Cleaning Professionals.
Renew is Dublin’s leading and most experienced professional carpet, fabric, tile & grout cleaning company. We have over 20 years’ experience, providing wool-safe approved, anti-allergen & eco-friendly cleaning solutions to over 10,000 homes a year.
- Environmentally friendly techniques
- Fully trained and professional staff
- 100% no quibble refund
- Free assessment and quotation