Ink stains are one of those notorious carpet stains that nobody wants to meet. Whether it’s a leaky biro or an accident doing homework, an ink stain can be more stressful than a fifth class maths problem. And, a close second to your child whining, ‘That’s not how my teacher does it.’
There are two types of inks – water-based and non-water based.
Water-based inks such as highlighters and magic markers are considered temporary, as they can be dissolved in water. These are pretty straightforward to remove.
Non-water based inks such as standard ink pens and permanent markers are not soluble in water and are usually considered permanent. These can still be successfully removed from the carpet, they just need a little extra work.
Ballpoint pens can be either of the above, depending on the type.
How to clean up a non-permanent ink stain on carpet
- Blot up as much of the ink stain as possible using a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Mix together washing up liquid and lukewarm water and use to dab the stain.
- Continue until the stain has gone.
- Rinse with water to rid any soapy residue.
“Did you know hairspray and salt (not together) can remove ink stains? Simply spray the ink stain with hairspray, use luke warm water to dab the area. Rinse afterwards. Using salt, pour salt over the stain (if it’s dried in, wet the area first) leave overnight and vacuum the next day. Rinse afterwards to remove any salt residue!”
How to clean up a permanent ink stain on carpet
- Use a clean towel or paper towel to blot up as much excess ink as you can. Be sure not rub, as this will work the stain further down into the carpet.
- Moisten the ink stain with rubbing alcohol such as surgical spirits.
- Using a clean white towel, carefully dab the area. (You will see the ink transfer onto the towel) Use a clean piece of towel each time, until the stain has gone.
- Mix a few drops of detergent with warm water to remove any mess afterwards.
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water and allow it to air dry.
I was apprehensive to get my expensive Persian rug cleaned as you never know with these things but calling Renew I knew I'd made the right decision. They collected it, cleaned it impeccably and returned it right to my door.James Galvin
We have a very strong relationship with Mark and the team at Renew Carpet Cleaning. They do a lot of carpet, upholstery and tile cleaning work for us and have done so for a long time. They’re very flexible and the work is impeccable.Brown Thomas
Jason and the team were just so lovely. They really helped me out at the last minute and the carpets came up so well, I asked them to do my sofa too! Couldn’t recommend Renew enough. Will be calling them back next year.Catherine O'Driscoll
Our carpets, curtains and upholstery have never looked as good since we hired Renew. Like clock-work they’re there to keep our premises shining to the high standards we’ve set. There's no better cleaning company out there.The Shelbourne Hotel
I'm only sorry I didn't call Renew years ago! They are by far and away the best tile & grout cleaners I've ever used and Darren was such a lovely man, couldn't have been more helpful when he arrived. Would defingintely use them again!Sinead Counihan
Dublin's Best Carpet, Fabric, Tile & Grout Cleaning Professionals.
Renew is Dublin’s leading and most experienced professional carpet, fabric, tile & grout cleaning company. We have over 20 years’ experience, providing wool-safe approved, anti-allergen & eco-friendly cleaning solutions to over 10,000 homes a year.
- Environmentally friendly techniques
- Fully trained and professional staff
- 100% no quibble refund
- Free assessment and quotation